Board of Trustees
Eric Friess, M.D.- MetroHealth McCafferty Clinic
Keymah Durden – Founding partner, Rid–All Green Partnership
Betsy Ferguson-Retired from HUD
Kim commenced working for EHW part-time in 1999 and became a full-time health educator in 2001. As the Executive Director of Environmental Health Watch, Kim has focused on environmental justice issues and adverse outcomes of environmental exposures both indoors and outdoors, that disproportionately impact poor and minority communitities. Kim earned an associate degree from Cuyahoga Community College and bachelor’s degree in Sociology and minor in Chemistry from Case Western Reserve University. Kim is a Licensed Lead Risk Assessor, and Roots of Success Instructor.
Stu started on staff at the Council on Hazardous Materials (now EHW) in 1984; prior to that he was on the Board and part of the founding group while he worked at the Ohio Public Interest Campaign (now Ohio Citizen Action). Stu graduated from Western Reserve University in 1966 and obtained a MS in Organizational Behavior from Case Institute of Technology. Stu was co-founder and first executive director (1970-78) of Panta Rhei, Inc. (now Spectrum of Supportive Services), a rehabilitation agency for people coming back into the community after long-term hospitalizations for mental illness. Stu served as the executive director of EHW from 1987-2012.
Mandy joined EHW in 2008 to establish the Affordable Green Housing Center. Mandy has an Urban Planning master’s degree from the University of North Carolina and a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Resource Management from Penn State. Mandy’s past jobs include Cleveland EcoVillage Project Director, planner at the Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative, and Planner for Sanford/Lee County in North Carolina. Mandy is a LEED Accredited Professional.
Akbar started with EHW in 1992 as a trainee and then as a crew leader of the Cleveland Lead Abatement Center. After that program, he became a Licensed Lead Abatement Contractor working with the Cleveland Lead Poisoning Prevention Program. Akbar returned to EHW full-time in 2003. He is a Licensed Lead Risk Assessor, Certified Healthy Homes Practitioner, Radon Measurement Specialist, Certified Whole House Air Leakage Control Installer, and Certified Pest Control Technician.
- Will Allen, founder and CEO of Growing Power Inc.
- Harriett Applegate – Executive Secretary, North Coast AFL-CIO
- David Beach – Green City Blue Lake
- Greg Brown – Executive Director, Policy Bridge
- Phyllis Cleveland, Majority Leader, Cleveland City Council
- Dorr G. Dearborn, PhD, MD – Mary Ann Swetland Professor and Chair, Dept. of Environmental Health Sciences
- Mike Foley, Director–Cuyahoga County Office of Sustainability, Ohio State legislator
- Sumita B. Khatri, MD MS, Co-Director Asthma Center – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Mark McDermott – V.P., Ohio Market Leader, Enterprise Community Partners
- Randy McShepard, Vice President of Public Affairs, RPM International Inc.
- Jim Rokakis – Director, Thriving Communities Institute
- Zach Schiller – Policy Matters Ohio
- Michael Skindell, Practicing Attorney, Ohio State legislator
- Shanelle Smith, Cuyahoga County Department of Sustainability