Board & Staff
Board of Trustees
Eric Friess, M.D. – MetroHealth McCafferty Clinic
Keymah Durden – founding partner, Rid-All Green Partnership
Core Program Staff
Fatima started working at EHW as a volunteer in 1999 and worked intermittently in that capacity for quite some time. She was hired as a staff member in July 2009. Fatima has a BA and MA in Environmental Studies with a concentration in Environmental Policy and an MA in English. Fatima is a Sanitarian in Training, Licensed Lead Risk Assessor, and Licensed Radon Measurement Specialist.
Matt began working for EHW in 2007 and in 2008 he helped establish EHW’s Affordable Green Housing Center. After college, Matt completed a year of service with AmeriCorps in California, working for Habitat for Humanity. Matt is also a Certified Healthy House Practitioner and a BPI Certified Building Analyst.
Kim commenced working for EHW part-time in 1999 and became a full-time health educator in 2001. Kim earned an associate degree from Cuyahoga Community College and bachelor’s degree from Case Western Reserve. Kim is a Certified Asthma Educator, Licensed Lead Risk Assessor, and Licensed Lead Contractor.
Stu started on staff at the Council on Hazardous Materials (now EHW) in 1984; prior to that he was on the Board and part of the founding group while he worked at the Ohio Public Interest Campaign (now Ohio Citizen Action). Stu graduated from Western Reserve University in 1966 and obtained a MS in Organizational Behavior from Case Institute of Technology. Stu was co-founder and first executive director (1970-78) of Panta Rhei, Inc. (now Spectrum of Supportive Services), a rehabilitation agency for people coming back into the community after long-term hospitalizations for mental illness. Stu served as the executive director of EHW from 1987-2012.
Mandy joined EHW in 2008 to establish the Affordable Green Housing Center. Mandy has an Urban Planning master’s degree from the University of North Carolina and a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Resource Management from Penn State. Mandy’s past jobs include Cleveland EcoVillage Project Director, planner at the Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative, and Planner for Sanford/Lee County in North Carolina. Mandy is a LEED Accredited Professional.
Debrah joined EHW in 2005 as an Americorp VISTA volunteer and served for two years in that capacity. Following her service, she joined the staff as a Health Educator and has climbed the ladder to serve in her current capacity as Project Manager. Debrah currently manages two programs and is responsible for a variety of grant related recruitment, health education, and field operations.
Mike received his B.A. in political science from Cleveland State University in 1994 and his J.D. from the Cleveland Marshall School of Law in 1997. He joined EHW as Executive Director in May of 2012 after serving as the executive director of the Cleveland Tenants Organization for seven years. Under Mike’s stewardship of CTO, he preserved and strengthened one of the most respected housing rights and social justice organizations in the country. CTO was recognized by the Center for Community Solutions and the Cleveland Foundation and awarded the 2009 Anisfield-Wolf Memorial award, largely considered the most prestigious award a local non-profit is eligible to receive.
Akbar started with EHW in 1992 as a trainee and then as a crew leader of the Cleveland Lead Abatement Center. After that program, he became a Licensed Lead Abatement Contractor working with the Cleveland Lead Poisoning Prevention Program. Akbar returned to EHW full-time in 2003. He is a Licensed Lead Risk Assessor, Certified Healthy Homes Practitioner, Radon Measurement Specialist, Certified Whole House Air Leakage Control Installer, and Certified Pest Control Technician.
2013 Advisory Board
- Will Allen, founder and CEO of Growing Power Inc.
- Harriett Applegate – Executive Secretary, North Coast AFL-CIO
- David Beach – Green City Blue Lake
- Greg Brown – Executive Director, Policy Bridge
- Phyllis Cleveland, Majority Leader, Cleveland City Council
- Dorr G. Dearborn, PhD, MD – Mary Ann Swetland Professor and Chair, Dept. of Environmental Health Sciences
- Mike Foley, Director – Common Good Ohio, Ohio State legislator
- Sumita B. Khatri, MD MS, Co-Director Asthma Center – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Michele Kilroy, LEED AP, Executive Director – Northeast Ohio Chapter of the US Green Building Coalition
- Mark McDermott – V.P., Ohio Market Leader, Enterprise Community Partners
- Randy McShepard, Vice President of Public Affairs, RPM International Inc.
- Jim Rokakis – Director, Thriving Communities Institute
- Zach Schiller – Policy Matters Ohio
- Michael Skindell, Practicing Attorney, Ohio State legislator
- Shanelle Smith, Local Director, Emerald Cities Cleveland/Cuyahoga County