American Lung Association
- “Tell EPA to Ban Triclosan by April 8″:
Triclosan is found in numerous consumer products like yoga mats, toothpaste and antibacterial soap and is now found in the bodies of 75% of the US population. It’s linked to hormone disruption, bacterial/antibiotic resistance, and it may affect fetal development. It also interferes with the thyroid hormone. Tell the EPA to ban triclosan by April 8th!
Environmental Defense Action Fund
- “Oppose Polluter Protections, Protect Our Clean Air”:
The House of Representatives has passed polluter earmarks that promote short-term polluter profits over citizens’ health. Please contact your Senators and urge them to reject these earmarks. Write them here.
Environmental Working Group
- “Protect Pregnant Women & Children from the Erin Brockovich Chemical”:
In December 2010, EWG found unsafe levels of hexavalent chromium (chromium-6, the chemical Erin Brockovich is famous for fighting against) in drinking water in 31 out of 35 U.S. cities that were tested. This chemical shows clear evidence of causing cancer in animals and is likely to have the same effect on humans. Urge your Senators to support Senate Bill 79, which would give the EPA one year to establish a safe drinking water standard for this chemical. Sign here.
League of Conservation Voters
- “Tell Obama to Create a Cancer Prevention Plan to Protect Americans from Toxic Chemicals”: Every minute 1 person in the U.S. dies from cancer. In their lifetime, 1 in every 2 American men and 1 in every 3 American women will develop some type of cancer. There are 80,000 toxic chemicals present in everyday products that Americans use. Tell Obama to create a plan to prevent exposure to these cancer-causing chemicals and prevent these tragic deaths by signing this petition.
Natural Resource Defense Council
- “Join the Nobel Peace Laureates in Opposing the Keystone XL Pipeline!”: Nine Nobel Peace Laureates have urged President Obama to reject the proposed Keystone XL tar sands oil pipeline. The pipeline would run from Alberta, Canada to the Gulf of Mexico and would destroy countless habitats, native lands, and drinking water supplies in the process. The Keystone “Tar Sands” Pipeline has been called “game over for the climate.” President Obama has the sole power to authorize the project’s implementation in the U.S. Tell him to STOP the pipeline! Send him a letter today.
- Urge Obama to Protect Communities from Chemical Accidents: The bulk use and storage of poison gases like chlorine at chemical facilities and wastewater and drinking water plants puts millions of Americans at risk of a Bhopal magnitude chemical disaster. Just 300 of these plants put a third of Americans at risk. Write to President Obama today.
- “Tell Your Representative and Senators to Vote AGAINST the REINS Act”: The REINS Act (H.R. 10/S. 299) forces all new regulations to obtain Congressional approval. If Congress can’t agree on the regulations in 70 days, the regulations are nullified. Subjecting all regulations to Congressional debate would allow political agendas to dominate science and expertise in making important decisions regarding Americans’ health. Please sign the petition to oppose this bill today.
- “Tell Congress to Require Disclosure of Toxic Drilling Chemicals”: Support the FRAC Act to close the “Halliburton loophole” in the Safe Drinking Water Act where oil and gas drillers can inject hazardous SECRET materials into underground drinking water sources. Sign here.
Ohio Citizen Action
- “Keep the Office of Consumer’s Counsel Funded to Avoid Higher Utility Rates” Governor Kasich has cut the Office of Consumer’s Counsel budget by 50% in his proposed budget but has maintained gifts to the utility companies. The Office of Consumer’s Counsel protects Ohio consumers by challenging utility rate increases in front of the Public Utility Commission. Without it, consumers are subject to higher rates. Tell your state representative that you want to keep the Office of Consumer’s Counsel funded by calling 1-800-282-0253! Find out who’s your representative here.
Ohio Sierra Club
- Support Strong Building Codes for Ohio: Support the adoption of the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, which would help Ohio homes be more energy efficient with smart insulation. Send your letter today! Read more about the building code in the Plain Dealer letter to the editor “Ohio Should Adopt the Latest Green-Building Standards for Residential Construction” by EHW’s Mandy Metcalf.
- “Stop the Davis-Besse Nuclear Plant Relicensing”: The Davis-Besse nuclear plant on Lake Erie is one of the WORST nuclear plants in the United States for its safety violations and near nuclear disasters. However, First Energy is attempting to renew the plant’s license until 2037. Tell the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that you want clean energy, not nuclear energy for Ohio! Sign the letter here.
Save Our Environment
Center for Health, Environment, and Justice
Ohio Environmental Council
Policy Matters Ohio
Union of Concerned Scientists